Saturday, March 03, 2007

3/2/07 Show - The Producers

First of all, I actually did a show. It had been 3 weeks but it felt more like I had traced my hand on a piece of paper. Which is to say, longer than 3 weeks. Secondly, the show I did focused on the great and influential producers for the post-punk era. You may not know about these producers but I assure you, they're there. It's kind of like how everybody is a skeleton, inside all of their hair and skin and muscles and bones. Well, not bones, because that is the skeleton. But anyway, thank God we don't have to see them though. Think of how scary it would be to live in the invisible world of scary skeletons. Sometimes you'll hear things like, "My brain says 'No' but my heart says 'Yes'" and I always think, it really doesn't matter what your brain and heart are saying. It's about what the skeleton is saying. Not just the insane chattering skull part either, the whole thing. The brain and heart and everything else are pretty damn useless without the skeleton. You'd just be a clump of motionless crap. Your brain likes to tell you that it controls everything but you have to consider the source. Of course it's going to tell you that. It's the brain. And it behooves your brain to make you think ("think" the operative word) that it is most important. Yeah right, motionless fragile sponge. I'd like to see you jump out of my skull and try telling me that.

So what I'm trying to get across here is that the producer can often be like your skeleton. Generally unseen, for good reason, as they're usually not as cute as guitar players but still very much in charge of what you're hearing. Sure, it could be said that the brain is like that too but that's exactly the kind of brain talk I think we should all start ignoring. How about you download this link, with your skeleton fingers and play the mp3 of my show for you underated bones:

http://www.box.net/public/static/0z00aybcx4.mp3

Hey, my link is now the actual link and no longer a nominal facade. I wonder what my playlist is going to look like:

Heart & Soul - Joy Division - Martin Hannett
The Autobahn - Kraftwerk - Konrad Plank
Mr. X - Ultravox - Konrad Plank
Gut Feeling - Devo - Brian Eno
Stay Hungry - Talking Heads - Brian Eno
Zoo Station - U2 - Brian Eno
Search and Destroy - The Stooges - David Bowie
Fire in Cairo - The Cure - Chris Parry
A Forest - The Cure - Mike Hedges
Short-Term Effect - The Cure - Phil Thornally
Entertain Me - Soft Cell - Daniel Miller
Sound of the Crowd - Human League - Martin Rushent
Relax - Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Trevor Horn
Do the Dog - The Specials - Elvis Costello
The Wait - The Pretenders - Nick Lowe
1000 Umbrellas - XTC - Todd Rundgren
Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode - Flood
Fields of Fire - Big Country - Steve Lillywhite
Heart of Glass - Blondie - Mike Chapman
Hold My Bones - The Pixies - Steve Albini
The Slider - T.Rex - Tony Visconti

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home