Saturday, February 03, 2007

2/2/07 Show - South By Southeast

Hey, I did a show this Friday night. I didn't do one last Friday. Don't worry though. I was okay. There's a liquor store I go to every morning that knows to report me as missing if I don't show up. But anyway, so I was back and did a whole show dedicated to The South. Hopefully this is sufficient consolation for you not winning the Civil War and for Neil Young's "Southern Man" song and for Hurricane Katrina and for all of those other hurricanes that ravage your coasts ever year and for those racial tensions that continue to mount and the declining economy and for the fact that while the rest of the world finds you especially charming, you are still generally viewed as inferior corn-fed rubes and for that horrible humidity and that most of the population in Florida is either waiting to die or an alligator and I guess I already covered this but shit, Northern armies burned down the entire city of Atlanta back in 1864 and...jeez...it's been kind of rough on you guys for the last 150 years, huh? I'm so sorry. But I guess the sad truth is that there is a disturbing parallel between hardship and creative output and that's maybe why so much great music has come out of the South in the last 150 years. Either that or it was magic peach pie.

I like to think that mp3's are kind of, in their own way, magic peach pies that are cooling on the window sill known as America. Why don't take a big bite by downloading this mp3? Why? I'm asking you?

South By Southeast Show Deep in the Heart of Dixie

Cotton-Pickin' Playlist:

Legal Tender - The B-52's
I Broke My Saw - Love Tractor
September Gurls - Big Star
Big Star - I Am the World Trade Center
Trouble - Voxtrot
Anti-Anti - Snowden
Piano Man - Ghostland Observatory
The Seperating Fault - Elf Power
I Have Been Floated - Olivia Tremor Control
Holland 1945 - Neutral Milk Hotel
Fluid - Gerbils
Radio Free Europe - REM
Every Word Means No - Let's Active
John Wayne Was A Nazi - MDC
I Don't Need Society - DRI
Born in Flames - Red Krayola
Melting Moon - VHS or Beta
Suffer For Fashion - Of Montreal
Heimdalsgate Like a Promethean Curse - Of Montreal
Selling Yourself Short - What Made Milwaukee Famous
***Guilty Pleasure*** - Kids in the Way - KPOP
A Spy in the House of Love - The DB's
Watusi Rodeo - Guadalcanal Diary
When You Go Out - I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness
Another Morning Stoner - ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of the Dead
Plumb Line - Archers of Loaf
Chix - The Tah Dahs
Radio Waves - Magnapop
Glittering Blackness - Explosions in the Sky

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for putting out your great shows. Definitely the highlight of my week. Missed your show last week, the ladies were nice and im glad they played blatz, that was a riot. You are one of the best things ive heard on this station, second only to the midnight airings of the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy that they used to play when i lived in san francisco.

Last week i bought a record only after i made the clerk check your playlist to make sure that the song i heard on your show was on the lp.

thanks again, and if your ever in portland or let me buy you a drink. and if you need a couch ive got one of those too.

jennie

2:51 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

Wow, Jennie, I can't tell you how nice that is to hear from someone that doesn't know me or isn't related to me or isn't about to get stabbed or lit on fire by me. Thanks so much!

Just for you, next week's show is going to be all Pacific Northwest bands. If you have any suggestions/requests, I would love to hear them.

Thanks again,

Alex

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good words.

2:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home